Our SCUBA full budgeting accounts are available to those receiving Universal Credit. For all other members we offer SCUBAlite accounts which help you to keep on top of your highest priority monthly expense.
If you are interested in a SCUBAlite account, you will need to be a member, and complete a payments form and a SCUBAlite contract. You hand these in or post them into the office, and we will set up your account. You will need to arrange for income into your account to cover the bill (instructions on the application form). Any income left over will be transferred into your withdrawable savings and will be available for you to withdraw by the usual methods including in the office, or via transfer to a bank account or Engage card. You can find our current application forms, change request forms and contract for our budgeting accounts in out Printable Forms page.
How Does it work?
- You decide which bill you wish to be paid, or tell us about your rent account that your landlord requires you to pay.
- You arrange for income to be paid into your Credit Union account, via benefit transfer, standing order or wages.
- We keep your money safe till the bill is due and then pay the bill, correctly and on time.
- Any money left over can be put into your savings or paid straight back to you in regular amounts, as you wish. You can rest easy, knowing that the money will be there and the bill is paid regularly.
- The accounts cost just £5 per month. If your landlord is a member of our scheme (please ask) they may pay the £5 fee, so the account could be free to you. We are pleased to say that Sheffield City Council Housing is a member of the scheme.
- You can keep track by requesting a statement, or by asking for a schedule.
- If you need to make any changes to your account, please use the following form to request this: SCUBA Change Request Form.
SCUBA Account for Universal Credit* Recipients
- Up to 5 monthly bills can be paid from this account
- The remainder of your benefit can be divided into up to 4 regular payments through the month to spread it out
- The fee is £10 per month (or £5 if your landlord covers the rent payment)
- Please contact us if you are interested in this account
*Universal Credit is a simplified benefit that is being gradually introduced to replace:
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Housing Benefit
Universal Credit will be paid:
- monthly into the bank account or credit union account you choose
- rent will be included in your monthly payment so you would then need to pay your landlord yourself
- if you and your partner are both eligible, you will get one monthly payment for the household
Find out more about Universal Credit here